- Party Ousts Chinese Regional Chief, Halting His Rise: “The news, announced Thursday morning in a brief dispatch by Xinhua, the state news agency, said that Vice Prime Minister Zhang Dejiang, a North Korean-educated economist, would replace him as Chongqing party secretary.” See also Wen Calls for Political Reform but Sidesteps Details
- Sherwood Rowland, CFCs, ozone depletion and the public role of scientists; see also F. Sherwood Rowland, Cited Aerosols’ Danger, Is Dead at 84
- Differing Accounts of Another Basketball Brouhaha in China: “It will be all-out war the next time my team, the Beijing Ducks, goes head-to-head against Shanxi Brave Dragons,” [Marbury] wrote.
- Rising Sea Levels Seen as Threat to Coastal U.S.: About 3.7 million Americans live within a few feet of high tide and risk being hit by more frequent coastal flooding in coming decades because of the sea level rise caused by global warming, according to new research… By far the most vulnerable state is Florida, the new analysis found, with roughly half of the nation’s at-risk population living near the coast on the porous, low-lying limestone shelf that constitutes much of that state. But Louisiana, California, New York and New Jersey are also particularly vulnerable, researchers found, and virtually the entire American coastline is at some degree of risk.
- Behind the Wheel 2012 Mazda 3: Proof That There’s Fun After 40 Miles Per Gallon (in case anything ever happens to Edgar T. Echo, heaven forbid)
- Why I Am Leaving Goldman Sachs
- The Fertility Implosion By DAVID BROOKS (Overblown… or maybe underblown?)
- Small-Picture Approach Flips Medical Economics: The extra attention Mrs. Cline receives is the result of a radical departure from traditional fee-for-service medicine. Advocate runs one of the nation’s first and largest accountable care organizations, a new kind of health care practice gaining momentum in part because of the Affordable Care Act signed into law two years ago by President Obama.
- Trade Issues With China Flare Anew
- Insuring your home: Make sure your coverage stands up in a worst-case scenario
- Wily, Elusive Foragers Invade Upstate New York: Feral pigs!
- Kotlikoff 2012. See his Purple Energy Plan: Set the initial carbon tax at $25 per metric ton of CO2… Increase the carbon tax by 5 percent above inflation each year for the next 30 years… Use the proceeds of this carbon tax to quintuple R&D on clean energy and carbon capture and sequestration, provide transition assistance to workers and ongoing assistance to low-income households adversely affected by the tax, subsidize clean energy production and use, and reduce the deficit.
- Dating Site for Married Couples: Later this year, Mr. Schechter and Mr. Schildkrout will release their answer to these questions: a new dating portal focused on committed couples. It will seek to get them out of their routines, off their feet and on the town for frequent dates.
- NYT Editorial: Changing the Chemistry of Earth’s Oceans
In the news
March 15, 2012
Posted in Blog