- $2.6 billion gap in state budget prompts Dems to look at taxes. But not carbon taxes. They are looking at a pollution tax that opponents say would raise gas prices 4 cents per gallon. Also WA among states weighing sale of liquor business; it’s about time. (If the state wants to discourage alcohol consumption it should do it with alcohol taxes, not by having the government run the liquor stores.)
- Buy Now, Pay Later (Maybe With Your Allowance)
- “Green police” Super Bowl ad.
- Bruised Maid Dies at 12, and Pakistan Seethes. Wow.
- Me on the PBS NewsHour (with a cameo from my father!)
- Kind words about the cartoon book from Tyler Cowen.
Congrats on the NewsHour piece. BTW, I certainly think alcohol taxes should be much higher, but I think something like alcohol (which creates enormous public costs in law enforcement and ER visits) might be best served inefficiently. Yes I’m no fun at parties!
[YB: Okay, except that if you replaced poor service with higher taxes (and good service) then you’d get the same incentive effects… plus government revenue that you could use to fund programs or cut other taxes. That’s why economists tend to prefer taxing mechanisms rather than things like poor service or waiting in line.]
Gas prices these days are just getting higher, i think the government should focus more on alternative energy.:,.